The area has been inhabited since 3000 B.C. According to a
version it was named so after the Phoenician word Kalhi (purple conch) or after the
deposits of copper. In the 7th cent., Halkida was the first to create colonies
in Halkidiki, South Italy and Sicely. In the 5th cent it became a member of the
Athenian Alliance, but during the Hellenistic Times it was the apple of record between the
successors of Alexander the Great. In 478 B.C. Halkida became a member of the Delian
Alliance. From 445 to 441 B.C. it was under the dominion of Athens. In 337 B.C. it became
a member of the 2nd Athenian Naval Alliance. In 338 B.C. it was under the
dominion of Macedonia and Rome (147 B.C.) when Halkida was destroyed by the Roman Mommius.
Halkida was occupied by the Venetians. In the 15th cent. by the Turks. In 1833
it was set free. It’s a vivid commercial city. Halkida is linked to the opposite coast
by a mobile bridge over Evripos Narrow, which is famous for the tidal movement of the
water. The flow to the one direction lasts 6 hours. The population is 53584. It is 81 km
NW of Athens.
The sights are:
- Halkida’s bridge. Initially it was wooden (540 A.D.). It was renovated in 1858, 1896
The Evripou's passage
the new bridge
- The mediaeval church of Santa Paraskevi in the district of Kastro. Initially it was a
Byzantine monument but in the 14th cent. it was modified by the Venetians.
- The Folklore Museum which exhibits objects of popular art.
- Kamares the mediaeval aquaduct and the marble fountain.
- The Archaeological Museum (it remains closed after the earthquakes of 1981) includes
findings from all over the island, mostly Eretria: protohellenic, mycenean, classical,
Hellenistic ceramics and Hellenistic or Roman sculptures.
- The tower in Balaleon St, that stands for the facade of a mediaeval mansion.
- The Turkish Tower of Karababa as well as the Turkish Venetian fort of Velibaba where the
literary figure and writer John Skaribas was buried.
- The Turkish mosque that includes a Byzantine collection Palaeochristian, Byzantine and
Postbyzantine ceramics and sculptures, mosaic floor, Venetian escutcheons, Turkish bas
- The City Art Gallery, that includes painting, sculpture and engraving works of art. It
was founded in 1968.