Greek Map

The Karakalou Monastery



Agio Oros







It looks like a fort. It has got the most beautiful tower in Mt Athos. It is considered to be a perceivable monument. The monastery is built on a mountainside and overlooks the sea. Surrounded by towering trees, it is dedicated to the Apostles, Paul and Peter. It was founded in the 11th century and took its name after the emperor of Rome, Karakala. In the 13th century, it was devastated by the destructive raids. It was renovated by the emperors Andronikus II and John V. It was once more destroyed by the pirates but it was reconstructed in the 16th century by Peter, the ruler of Vlahia, who later took monastic vows there. In the 17th century, it was presented with the monastery dependency of St Nicholas in Ismaelia. The main church was built in 1548-1563. The murals were painted in 1716. The outer narthex was painted in 1763 and depicts the scenes of the book of Revelation. The portable icon of the Apostles made by the painter Dionisious (1722) has been set in the post-Byzantine temple. There are also 7 chapels. The relics include: a portable icon of St Peter and St Paul, a portable icon of Christ’s Circumcision, a piece of the Holy Cross, vestments and saints’ relics. The library includes 279 manuscripts (42 of them are on parchment), 2.500 printed books and other official documents. It has been a coenobium since 1813 with 10 monks. It has got the 11th position among the athonic monasteries.

Best experienced with

Best viewed in 1024x768