It is the capital with 16.218 inhabitants. The modern town is situated on the west shore a the lake, on the site of the ancient Keletron.
Churches. The town has got over 70 Byzantine and post Byzantine churches dating back to the 9th - 19th cent. A part from Koubelidiki, they are all basilicces. Most of them are family chapels.
- The walls of the town.
- The districts of Apozari and Doltso next to the lake.
The famous mansions some of which still exist such as those families : Navri, Sapoutnzi, Emmannouel. The mansions of Kastoria as well as those of Veria, Kozani and Siatitsa are three storeyed. Their windows are huge, their loggios are made of glass. The rooms are comfortable with a rich decorated which are influenced by baroque of the central and South Europe. The most famous mansions date back to the 18th and 19th centuries.
The Town hospital with morals by Zografos.
The Monastery of Panagia Maurotissa. It is built some kilometres away from the town, on the shores of the lake. The murals of the narthex date back to the end of the 12th cent. scenes of Pentecost, Crocifixion, Betrayall and the assomption are multicolored with many innovations that characterize the Macedonian School. An imposing Second Coming covers the walls of the narthex. On the south exterior wall komnenoe are also depicted. The entrance of the main church is of the 12th cent.
Next to Maurotissa, there is the little church of St John the Theologian. The murals ( 1552 ) combine the local tradition with the Cretan School.
Saints Anargyri. A three - aisled basilica. The central aisle is higher. The murals are of excellent quality in two layers. The older layer ( 1000 A.D. ) is visible only in the narthex. The most recent ( 12th cent ) caver the whole interior. These murals are multicolored. The scene of the mourning is one of the most expressive representations of the Byzantine arts. A characteristic of the Macedonian School is the following arrangement: the lower zone represents the whole figures of the saints, while the middle and the upper represent prophets.
St. Stephanus - the murals are well - kept.
Panagia Koubelidiki ( 11th cent ). A cruciform church with a high dome. The marthex was added much later. The murals are of the 13th cent as far as the interior of the main church is concerned. The murals of the narthex date back to the 17th cent.
The archaeological ( Taxiarhis ). A three aisled basilica with remnants of murals ( 10th cent ). The main aisles murals are well kept ( 1359 - 60 ). The exterior walls have got murals of the 15th cent., depicting men, women and children buried in the church. Above the entrance there is the Holy Mother holding the Holy infont. The grave of Paulos Melas is found in the narthex.
St Nicholas of Kasnitze ( 12th cent ). The roof is made of wood. This church is decorated all over with murals. The painting was a donation of Nikeforos Kasnitze. He and his wife are depicted on the west wall.
St Athanasius. It was built in 1384 - 85. The founders were members of the royal family of Albania.