Achilleion

The tour

flag-gr.gif (8418 bytes)

Entrance - Enclosure

Interior

The Chapel

Elisabeth's room

Victorious Achilles

Garden of statues



 

 

KAISER'S ROOM

Kaiser William II at Achilleion, by Willy Stower    In the Kaiser's room can be seen above the writing desk, a water colour of the Kaiser ,dressed in naval uniforn1 on the terrace of Achilleion. The picture shows him hiding his left arm behind his back which was a characteristic pose of his due to his left arm being deformed to the extent that it was smaller in stature than his right arm. Because of this complex, he used always to conduct meetings from swiveling saddles (like the one below the writing desk), liking to be above the heads of his guests and, in all the palaces connected with the Kaiser, as well as in the place of his exile in Dom, Holland, these same swiveling saddles can be seen .The saddle seat is an original and was formerly situated in one of the rooms on the first floor set in the middle of the room. The writing desk is in no way connected to the seat, but it is an original from the Kaiser's day. To the right and left of the portrait are three impressive water colours, by the excellent German seascapist - William .Stower, who also did the portrait of the Kaiser, though portraits weren't his speciality. The two pictures to the right show the royal yacht 'Hohenzollern' (the Kaiser's family name) in Corfu~ The one to the left is a picture of the British battleship' Implacable' which visited Corfu in 1908, again byKaiser's saddle seat Stower Under the painting of the "moonlit" Hohenzollem survives an original porcelain stove ( cast iron interior). To the right of the window upon the chest is an original Bavarian porcelain washbasin and jug with the royal monogram, together with the Prussian coat of arms. In the portfolio of photographs, which were purchased in 1962 for the museum, can be seen photographs of King George I of Greece with his successor Prince George II and Prince Alexander; Sofia, sister of the Kaiser and also William II himself with his wife Augusta Victoria (Princess of Schleswig Holstein) with their daughter, Victoria Louisa (grandn1other of the last King of Greece) .Another photograph shows the sailors from the Kaiser's yacht carrying sections of the huge bronze statue of Achilles which was assembled here. Underneath the photographsis the Kaiser's barber's chair. Inside the showcase are items relating to his life which were bought in recent years. A bust of his father, William Ion the left and his Moonlit Hoenzollern by Willy StowerGrandfather, Friedrich III, together with a memorial plaque of 1888, the year he became Emperor of Germany. There are also three porcelain dishes; There is also a medal depicting a black eagle which was awarded to him. The Prussian ensign has the words' For the Glory of The Country, written upon it, as the Kaiser was also King of Prussia To the right of the cupboard hangs a portrait of Ferdinand Bontempo who was responsible for the palace after Elisabeth ' s death and up until 1915 when war broke out whereafter he escaped to Egypt. The portrait was done by well-known Corfiot painter - George Samarzis.To the back of the room are displayed two telegrams from the Kaiser, whilst he was in exile in Holland, to Ferdinand Bontempo and his wife asking after their health in Egypt. Underneath are official notices of the Hohenzollern ' s last trip to Corfu with the Kaiser in 1913. Below can be seen a scaled down model of the Hohenzollern which was built in 1893 by the German shipbuilder Vulcan Stat tin. The ship was 116 metres in length, 14 metres wide with a depth of 6.1 metres. It had 323 crew memberScale model of the Hoenzollerns and ran off coal-fired engines, travelling at a maximum speed of 21 mph Hanging above the model is an original flag from the Hohenzollern, with the year that the German states and Prussia joined the Geffi1an Empire in 1870. To the right is another collection of photographs with more pictures of the Kaiser at Achilleion: the Kaiser writing in the gardens; in his famous Mercedes (one of the first to exist on Corfu).