Enjoy the view towards the
· From the location Oxia: A panoramic view towards the canyon. It attracts thousands of tourists each year.
· From the Convent of Saint Paraskevi: It is the most accessible spot for the visitor to relish the view.
· The Convent of Saint Paraskevi: The oldest preserved church in Zagori is the Catholic of the Convent of Saint Paraskevi.
The Monastery, which is built at the edge of a rough rock, stands over the Vikos gorge.
The church is small, with one room, with a wooden roof, Basilica, surrounded by cells. According to an inscription over the gate, it was built by Michael Therianos in the years 1413-1414, when the area was ruled by Charles A Tokkos.
On the northern wall, there is an icon of Therianos, his wife Theodora, his son George and his little daughter. The picture is indicative of the dressing code of that time. The outfits of the benefactors are luxurious with rich embroidered cloths, broad braids and fringes. Theodora is wearing a white kerchief on her head, which is rapped around her neck. That was a habit at the time of the Ipiros Domain. The wall paintings on the south wall are dated from the relevant inscription in 1689. That Monastery was a dependency of the Prophet Elias Monastery.
North/east of the Convent, in the middle of the rough side of Vikos, there are small residents, “little houses”, that were used as refugees for Christians during hard times. Those were built around 1816 under the supervision of Kotlis and Kapris.
Two written inscriptions determine the date of the successive painting phases of the Church. An inscription over the gate says that the church was historiated by the painter Michael and his son Konstantinos from Linotopi, Kastoria.
The church was finished in 1619-1620. That’s when the historiation of the church and the narthex occurred. According to a second inscription, the work was made in 1734. I. Lambridis ( Ipirotic Studies , Zagorian A, page 42) enforces that date, saying that in the year 1733, by expenses of the nobleman Michael Missios, the cupola of Saint Minas was historiated.
The temple is wooden carved, gold plated with drawings of flowers, fruit, animals, dragons with wings and children.
· The particularly interesting Buildings: In Monodendri there was a “common” (lower school) since the beginning of the 19th century (1810). Later, there was a higher school (1825-1828) and it had about 150 pupils. There also was a girls’ school (1846) with the initiative of the Rizaris Bros.
At first, the school operated in a house (1813), which was donated by the owners and suitably repaired. In 1834 it was repaired and it was turned into a Greek school and a secondary school, by the Rizaris Bros. That school was enriched with a remarkable library, by the Rizaris Bros, who made it their inheritance.
As we are informed from Lambridis, it became a Patriarchic Synod Document “common and ready to welcome and tech the education loving students, local and from other areas homogenous children”.
In 1814 the Rizaris Bros bought another house, turned it into a Girls’ school and gave it their name.